During its first decade, the facility saw relatively few patients. But in 1847 the hospital treated its first war casualties during the Mexican American War.
In 1914, a private women's study club opened a small library behind the courthouse. It had 1 librarian and was contracted by the city council to serve as the city's public library.
This proclamation was researched and written by members of the Portsmouth History Commission.