City Hall Building
801 Crawford Street, 4th floor, Portsmouth, VA 23704
Phone (757) 393-8836 · Fax (757) 393-5223
Mission Statement and Services Provided
The Department of Planning's Mission is to engage City of Portsmouth residents to envision and plan a highly desirable and livable city, and to then implement and maintain that vision and plan through the wise use of land, resources and form-based development thereby ensuring a high quality of life for all generations.
In support of achieving this mission, the Department consists of seven core service areas:
- Current Planning (including review of site plans, subdivisions, rezonings, use permits and certificates of appropriateness)
- Environmental Planning (including Chesapeake Bay preservation and flood plain management)
- Transportation Planning and Implementation
- Historic Preservation
- Zoning and Zoning Enforcement
- Community Planning and Development (CDBG & HOME programs)
- Long Range, Comprehensive Planning & Implementation
The department also provides staff support to a number of City Council and Circuit Court appointed boards and commissions including the Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), the Downtown Design Committee (DDC), the Wetlands Board, and the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). Staff also provides support to the Urban Design Committee, Cradock Advisory Group, Truxton Advisory Group, and numerous other Boards and Commissions. Further, the department represents the City at the regional and state level on issues such as Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act and transportation planning through the Hampton Roads District Commission (HRPDC) and the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization (TPO).
By local, State and Federal law, the Planning Department provides the following services:
- Processing applications for Use Permits and Rezonings,
- Processing applications for the subdivision of land,
- Processing applications for Code Amendments,
- Processing applications for construction projects in Historic Preservation areas,
- Processing applications for construction projects in the Downtown Districts,
- Site Plan and Landscape review,
- Administering the VDOT required 527 TIS Program,
- Enforcement of Zoning Ordinance regulations,
- Enforcement of Chesapeake Bay Protection Area regulations,
- Enforcement of Virginia Wetlands regulations,
- Enforcement of Historic Preservation District regulations,
- Enforcement of the Downtown Design District regulations, and
- Maintaining and updating the City of Portsmouth Comprehensive Plan.
In addition, the Planning Department is also responsible for developing the 5-year Consolidated Plan and Annual Action Plan for addressing Housing needs within the City. The Community Planning & Development Program (CDBG, HOME) includes oversight of sub-recipients, approval of all HUD programmatic and financial related budget expenditures, preparation of HUD reports, acting as City liaison to HUD, and participating and supporting city-wide agencies as it relates to Community Development.