Adult Services
How do I report adult abuse
after hours?
To report suspected financial exploitation or other kinds of abuse to the elderly or adults with a disability, call the Virginia Department of Social Services’ 24-hour, toll-free Adult Protective Services hotline at: (888) 832-3858. Adult Protective Services (APS) investigates reports of abuse, neglect, and exploitation of adults over 60 years of age and incapacitated adults over 18 years of age and provides services when persons are found to be in need of protective services.

What type of help is offered in the VIEW Employment Services Program?

Frequently Asked Questions
Adult Protective Services
The Department of Social Services is responsible for providing services to elderly and/or disabled adults age eighteen and older to prevent abuse, neglect, and/or exploitation. Protective services consist of investigating complaints, assessing service needs, and if appropriate; arranging for services. If you want to file a report/complaint contact the Adult Services unit at 757-405-1800 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Companion Services
The purpose of Companion Services is to help disabled individuals remain in their own homes as opposed to institutional placement. Services include light housekeeping, errands and some personal care duties. The maximum number of hours per week of companion services is determined on an individual basis. Payments are made by the Department of Social Services to agency contracted home health agencies. Eligibility is based on state established income guidelines. A waiting list is maintained to remain within the city's funding allocation.

Adult Foster Care
Adult Foster Care is a program which is available to adults eighteen and over who have a physical/mental health condition or an emotional / behavioral disability. The program provides room and board, supervision, and special services relating to a specific physical, mental, and/or emotional problem. The adult must be incapable of independent living and unable to remain in his/her own home. Care is provided in an agnecy approved family home. Individuals must meet state established income guidelines and be assessed by an adult services social worker prior to placement.

Adult Care Residences
Adult Care Residence is for individuals who are in need of financial assistance for payment through a Medicaid auxiliary grant. The screening is completed to determine the level of care the individual requires. All auxiliary grant receipents must be reassessed once per year. A screening by an adult services social worker must be completed on all individuals entering an adult care residence.

Community Based Care and Nursing Home Placement
The program provides In-home services, which include but are not limited to assistance with bathing and dressing, meal preparation, and cleaning the individual's room, are for individuals who would otherwise have to be placed in nursing homes. Pre-screenings consist of a home visit by a social worker from the Department of Social Services and a nurse from the Health Department to determine if the individual meets the physical criteria for the requested Medicaid funded service. The results of the home visit are presented to a screening team comprised of the social worker, nurse and the director of the Health Department. Pre-admission screenings are required for Medicaid funding community based in-home services and nursing home placements.

VIEW Employment Program
The Virginia Initiative For Employment Not Welfare program assists individuals on public assistance (i.e. TANF, Food Stamps) find permanent employment.

About PDSS
Child & Family Services
Benefit Programs/Assistance
Contact Us
Portsmouth Department of Social Services. All Rights Reserved
Home | About PDSS | Adult Services | Child & Family Services | Benefits Programs | Awareness Months | Contact Us
1701 High Street Suite 101 Portsmouth, VA 23704 • Phone 757-405-1800
The City of Portsmouth
Adult Services