- Departments A-F
- City Treasurer
PERSONAL PROPERTY ALERT
Personal Property Taxes and License Fees for 2023 are due on or before June 5, 2023.
A 50% tax credit has been applied to the first $20,000 assessed value on vehicles used for personal use, reducing your personal property tax obligation to the city.
Payments may be made as follows:
• US Mail: payments must be postmarked no later than June 5, 2023 to be considered on time.
• City Treasurer’s Office: using the 24 hour drop boxes. (City Hall-801 Crawford Street & Churchland Branch-4934W High Street).
• By Phone: 1-877-248-7615
• Online: visit www.portsmouthva.gov and select Pay a Bill.
• Portsmouth Connect: download the Portsmouth Connect app to make a mobile payment.
• Papaya Payment: pay with a picture in seconds! Search Papaya Payments in the App Store.
Requests for payment plans will be considered prior to June 5, 2023. You may visit our website or call our office to setup an installment plan prior to the due date.
If you have not received your 2023 Personal Property Tax and License Fee Statement, please call the Portsmouth City Treasurer’s Office at (757) 393-8651 for assistance. High call volume is expected during this time, please be patient. You may also contact us by email at treasurerPP@portsmouthva.gov.
If you have sold or otherwise disposed of a vehicle or if you have permanently moved from Portsmouth, please notify the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office at (757) 393-8779.
We are committed to professional and responsive service to our Portsmouth Family.
Paige D. Cherry
Please see below for information on Tax Payments:
- Online:www.portsmouthva.gov (24 hours)
- Phone:1-877-248-7615 (24 hours)
- Papaya Payments: Pay with a picture in seconds! Search Papaya Payments in the App Store.
- Portsmouth Connect: Download the Portsmouth Connect app to make a mobile payment.
- City Treasurer’s Office: Using the 24-hour Drop Boxes located at Columbia Street, next to City Hall and at the Churchland Branch, 4934 High Street West
- QR Code: Scan the QR code on your bill
- Mail to: Portsmouth City Treasurer
801 Crawford Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704
The Treasurer’s Office was established and is governed by the Constitution of Virginia.
Duties & Responsibilities
The range of the Treasurer's duties encompass the collection of state and local funds, the disbursement and investment of local funds, and the accounting of those funds.
The Treasurer is responsible for the receipt, deposit, investment, reconciliation, safekeeping, and disbursement of funds. The Treasurer is the Chief Investment Officer for the City, working with the Finance Department and the banking community for the highest and safest return on investments.
Mission StatementThe mission of the Treasurer's Office is to serve the public in a courteous and efficient manner in the performance of duties. All citizens are to be treated with respect and in a professional manner. Excellent customer service for all citizens is the standard.
~Paige D. Cherry