Building Permits & Inspections
The Department of Permits and Inspections Building Inspection Division is responsible for administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) and related construction regulations, codes, and standards relative to construction, addition, alteration, replacement, repair, relocation, demolition, and change of occupancy/use of commercial and residential structures to ensure public safety, health, and welfare as well as reasonable fire safety and structural integrity.
- Administrate permit processes and construction activities
- Examine construction documents prior to proposed construction activities
- Inspect construction and trade activities to verify code compliance with VUSBC and supporting codes
- Apply required energy and water conservation codes and standards
- Apply appropriate required accessibility standards and guidelines
- Apply local municipal zoning ordinances, floodplain regulations, historical preservation regulations, and various design district regulations
The Department administrates permit application and issuance to ensure code compliance with
The Department examines construction documents of proposed construction projects to ensure code compliance.
- Perform plans examination to verify code compliance with all construction, trade, and related regulations and codes as well as applicable referenced standards
- Review code modification requests for code equivalencies with code spirit and intent
- Review alternative construction materials, means, and methods
- Determine construction classification, occupancy/use classification, and occupant load
The Department, in addition to review of applicants and documents, conducts building and trade inspections of construction projects under construction and after occupancy to ensure code compliance.
Administrative and Technical Assistance
The Department assists other departments, agencies, and entities.
- Provide administrative and technical regulatory and code assistance to registered design professionals (architects/engineers), general contractors, home builders, trade subcontractors, property owners, and general public
- Assist with damage assessment after natural and human-caused disaster and emergency events
Additional Staff Services
- Provide other services and assistance as required