Most forms of development require the review and approval of a zoning compliance permit prior to the issuance of a building permit, business license, or certificate of occupancy.
We can help you with ….
- Determining Permitted Uses
- Construction Project Requirements - including setbacks
- Fence Permits
- Sign Permits
- Business License Clearances
When staff is reviewing your project, other reviews might be triggered including Flood Zones, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Areas, Historic Districts, and subdivision regulations.
Zoning Ordinance Amendments Opens a New Window.
The Zoning Ordinance was updated December 9, 2014. The City Council has since adopted the following Zoning Ordinance Amendments Opens a New Window. :
- Ord. No. 2015-83: Requirement to obtain a Use Permit for the development of multifamily housing
- Ord. No. 2016-07: Authorizing and regulating food trucks
- Ord. No. 2016-09: Uptown D2 Form-Base Code District
- Ord. No. 2016-70: Authorizing and regulating construction/demolition/debris landfills and transfer stations
- Ord. No. 2017-38: Amending Sections 202, 203, and 802 of the Uptown D2 Form-Base Code District
- Ord. No. 2017-96: Parking regulations and establishing a special exception process
- Ord. No. 2018-01: Amending self-service storage regulations
- Ord. No. 2018-02: Amending signage regulations
- Ord. No. 2018-39: Amending lot size and lot width requirements for new subdivisions or resubdivisions
- Ord. No. 2018-59: Operation of food trucks in conjunction with a microbrewery or microdistillery
- Ord. No. 2018-112: Including real estate offices within the definition of professional services offices
- Ord. No. 2018-115: Exempting existing single family residences from certain lot consolidation requirements
For more information contact Zoning at 757-393-8522.
Or visit the Zoning office on the 4th floor of City Hall.
801 Crawford Street, Portsmouth, VA 23704
"CAN DO" Help Video
Need a Zoning Clearance? Interested in development or obtaining a business license in the City of Portsmouth? Check out our informational video!
Chapter 40.1 of the Portsmouth City Code is the Zoning Ordinance. It is a set of regulations devoted to Land Use that defines:
- How far buildings must be from the property lines
- How far buildings on the same lot must be from each other
- How many parking spaces are needed for a particular use type
- Size and configuration parking spaces and lots
- Building heights
- Sign regulations
- Site plan review requirements
- Use permit regulations
- Other similar requirements